Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Quality of the Super 80 "Flying Finger" pickups?
DugT
#1 Posted : 9/23/2017 6:04:20 PM

Groups: Member
Are the Super 80 "Flying Finger" pickups good or do most people replace them? They sound ok to me but I prefer the tones from my strats single coils. I also like the out of phase tones from combining pickups. My AR720 with the Flying Finger pups sounds relatively sterile vs a kind of acoustic tone from my old strat copy which is a 1992 Peavey Predator. I'm wondering if I would prefer different pickups in my AR720. I love playing the AR720 because of its neck. I am very new to electric guitars, buy the way, but have played acoustics for decades.
hannu
#2 Posted : 9/25/2017 12:37:32 PM

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
DugT;521801 wrote:
They sound ok to me but I prefer the tones from my strats single coils.

In that is the case then it is not so much if they are the right or wrong pickups, it is the wrong guitar. The Ibanez Artist guitar is a humbucker guitar, you may get some split coil sounds out of it, but the natural, intended sound of this guitar is humbucker.
If you like a Stratocaster sound, it is best achieved by a Stratocaster/Stratocaster style guitar (single coil pickups, one piece maple neck).
2011 Ibanez AK95 | 2012 Ibanez AR325 | 2013 Ibanez AKJ95
1964 Gibson Super 400 CES
2013 Fender Jazz Bass
Tracy Dae
#3 Posted : 9/25/2017 3:24:13 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 105 post(s)
I like the Super 80 pickups in my AR620 quite a lot. If you are expecting Stratish type single coil tone humbuckers cannot achieve that. Single coils achieve that.

Personally I like to have quite a few voices at my disposal. These Super 80's are yet another voice to go with the Super58's in my AR320's, the Stratish single coils in my SA guitars and the P90's in my Aria PE90. To me having multiple voices available is a good thing. I would not be able to wrap my head around wanting all my guitars to have the same voice.

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
DugT
#4 Posted : 9/26/2017 4:26:59 PM

Thanks for the input.

My preference would be to have one guitar that is capable of all of the tones I like. Flipping switches to get different tones would be easier than switching guitars and I would rather travel with fewer guitars. My AR720 is capable of a wide variety of tones and I like about half of them. My strat is capable of a wide variety of tones and I like about half of them. I especially like its out of phase tones. So, I've been considering alternatives to get closer to fewer guitars that cover my tone preferences. Tonerider Alnico 2 Classic humbuckers are capable of very strat like tones, except out of phase tones, even though they are four wire humbuckers. If others with AR guitars said here that Super 80's suck, that would be enough reason for me to buy Toneriders. They are capable of a wide range of tones too and more of their range is to my liking. If they could make out of phase tones too I'd be a happy one guitar guy. I might give them a try anyway.
Tracy Dae
#5 Posted : 9/27/2017 1:05:01 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
It's reasonably easy to add an out of phase switch to the 300 circuit. I simply changed neck tone pot to a push/pull to add that tone to both my AR320's and my AR620.
DugT
#6 Posted : 9/27/2017 1:35:37 AM

That is good news. I thought I read somewhere that to get a pup out of phase it had to also be reverse wound. On my strat the magnets on the bridge and neck have a big N stamped on them and the middle pup has an S. But, it seems to me that just switching the wires on one pup on an LP would do it.
Tracy Dae
#7 Posted : 9/27/2017 4:14:16 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
DugT;521813 wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that to get a pup out of phase it had to also be reverse wound.

Yes for single coil pickups to get that out of phase sound one of the pickups needs to be reverse wound. Your AR720 does not have single coil pickups. It has humbuckers. The basic structure of humbucker pickups has one of the two coils within the humbucker pickup reverse wound. That is how they achieved the ability to buck hum.

Stewmac sells a push/pull pot that will do the job well and your original Sure Grip III knob will fit it. You remove the two wires coming from the Tri-Sound switch of the pickup you chose to be able to switch in and out of phase and replace it will a longer pair of wires that will reach the push/pull pot you choose to use. Then run a second pair of wires from the push/pull pot to the where the original wires came off the volume pot. Both DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan have diagrams on their websites that show how to wire a push pull pot to switch pickup phase.

For the three AR guitars that I added phase switching, I put it on the neck tone control. For my IC400 Iceman I put it on the bridge tone control because the IC400 does not have tri-sound switches and I put a push/pull on the neck tone to switch between series and parallel. So I wired a push/pull on the bridge tone control to switch the pickups out of phase. I did the same thing for my AX320T - again because it does not have Tri-Sound switches. For my AX320, which also does not have Tri-Sound switches, I wired that guitar for "spin to split" like the old Peavey T60's. Then I put the push/pull pot to switch phase on the neck tone control. For my TC-620 Talman, which has P90 pickups (which are single coil) and only one volume and one tone control, I put the phase push/pull switch on the tone control as well.

You can set it up however which way works best for you. These examples are what works best for me based on what I had to work with on each different guitar.

Here is a shot of the harness I made for my AX320T installed. At the bottom is a shot of the harness I made for my IC400 Iceman installed (I have since added a kill switch to the Iceman - Why? Because I had plenty of room to do so. LOL)

1 user thanked Tracy Dae for this useful post.
DugT on 9/28/2017(UTC)
DugT
#8 Posted : 9/28/2017 7:23:50 PM

Thank you, Tracy, for that valuable information and the helpful photos. By the way, you do nice work.