Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Is it worth to upgrade from gio grx70 to rg 370dx?
baruffa123
#1 Posted : 9/30/2017 5:40:01 PM

Groups: Member
Hi everyone.
As the title says, I have now the opportunity to trade my gio grx70 (first guitar. I have been playing for a year now and I will keep playing) for an older rg 370dx (I have to pay some money aswell but it's not much). However, I have read everywhere about how bad the trem is on that guitar. Plus the owner does not have the trem arm.

My question is, even though the trem is not that good, is the overall guitar better enough that the trade will be worth it?

Thanks in advance
Tracy Dae
#2 Posted : 10/4/2017 7:08:38 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 111 post(s)
The RG370 is quite an upgrade from a GRX70. I have also read terrible things about the Edge III trems on the older RG3XX guitars but honestly they are okay. One of my band mates has one with an Edge III and he doesn't think it's terrible. They are certainly not fantastic trems, just okay. Also, not all of the older RG370's had the notorious Edge III. Do you know what trem is on the guitar you are considering? Did the previous owner upgrade it to something else? Does the trem even matter to you?
The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
baruffa123
#3 Posted : 10/4/2017 9:38:11 PM

I believe it's either an edge ii or an edge iii. It has not been upgraded. However the trem is quite important to me, since I'd like to play some Metallica songs with it and I'd like to perform squeels and divebombs as Dimebag does. Thanks for the reply
Tracy Dae
#4 Posted : 10/5/2017 5:53:19 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Originally Posted by: baruffa123 Go to Quoted Post
However the trem is quite important to me...

Then perhaps it would be best to keep looking for a better RG version. I know the higher end models have better trems but I couldn't tell you which ones since I am not an RG girl. Maybe something from the Premium or Prestige lines... I know I saw a reasonably recent model of RG450 that had a generic Floyd Rose trem on it and it looked like a Takeuchi, Gotoh or Schaller would drop right in in its place. Though as I say I am not an RG girl I was seriously considering buying that guitar anyways because it was a rather nice guitar and it was only $250.00 in GC's used section. I had to wait till payday and it was sold before I got my next paycheck. If I ever see another one at a time when I have the cash in hand to grab it I am going to. Haha

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.