Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

S Series Tremolo
The Gorimus
#1 Posted : 10/13/2017 10:30:00 AM

Groups: Member
1. What is the difference between Edge-Zero II and Edge-Zero w/ZPS ? My understanding is that the ZPS has a spring adjustment knob at the back, correct? I can't make out the difference from PDF manuals that I downloaded from Ibanez website (link given below)

http://www.ibanez.com/as...wnload/manual/index.html

2. Does Ibanez S520 have the spring adjustment knob? I am considering to buy this. From the various sources, I understand that with the knob, you don't have to open the plates to adjust the string (correct?)

3. Any other S series models in USD 500-600, range other than S520? Earlier, I started off looking for models in RG series, but seeing some reviews and videos on YouTube, I am really impressed by the S series (am a convert now!).

Thanks,

BA

[img]null[/img]http://www.ibanez.com/asia/download/manual/index.html
The Gorimus (Guitar oriented musician)
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 10/13/2017 4:56:28 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 421 time(s) in 411 post(s)
Hello,

1. The ZPS system is referring to the springs int he back. For the most part, we've stopped using these and have switch to a more standard spring and claw setup. The EDGE Zero and EDGE Zero II are slightly different. The EDGE Zero(without the 2) has an intonation adjustment tool on the side opposite the trem arm, and uses a slightly different trem arm and saddles. The EDGE Zero(top picture) is considered to be the higher end version:

2. The current S520 does not have the ZPS spring system in the back. The knob on the ZPS system does allow you to adjust the tension without removing the back panel. That being said, the more common claw hook spring system on the current version has a panel with holes in the back so you still don't have to remove the back cover:

3. There have been a few different S series guitars over the years that are in that price range. Currently, It'd be between the S520 you've been looking at and the S670QM:

Hope this helps!
-Bill
The Gorimus
#3 Posted : 10/14/2017 5:21:08 AM

Hello Bill, thanks for the clarification - this is really helpful!

It was good to learn that the Claw-Hook Spring System allows the springs to be adjusted without removing the back cover.

A quick question: I see most Ibanez models in my price range, have Edge Zero 2. Therefore, if there is an option of Spring Adjustment Knob vs. Claw-Hook Spring System, which one should be preferred and why? Of course, if I settle for the S series, then (as I now understand) there is no Spring Adjustment Knob, at least in my price range.

Thanks again for you quick response.

BA
Bill@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 10/16/2017 1:45:08 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 421 time(s) in 411 post(s)
Not sure which would be better for you. The wheel adjustment vs Claw are really just to different ways to do the same thing. When it comes down to it, the wheel may allow for "finer" tuning of the spring tension since it is easier to make small adjustments if necessary. However, you don't really have the extra space to install more/less springs if necessary. The claw would allow for more springs if needed when changing tunings or string gauges.

Either way, I don't think it will make a big enough difference to you. I think you'll still be able to get a lot of use out of either system just fine.
The Gorimus
#5 Posted : 10/16/2017 5:27:45 PM

I get it now. As you say, if these are just two different methods to achieve the same goal, then it really doesn't matter - makes my decision simpler!

Many thanks.