Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

AM73B - questions
SnowSkier
#1 Posted : 11/13/2017 2:49:38 AM

Groups: Member
Hello,

I am planning to learn to play electric guitar in the upcoming months. I've researched a bunch of electric guitars for beginners as well as those for people with short fingers. After much review, I've decided the AM73B would work well for me. (Next most preferred option was/is the Epiphone G-400 Pro.) Any disagreements or thoughts about the AM73B guitar for a beginner are appreciated in advance. I really liked the clean tone produced by this guitar as well. The only change to the guitar I'm wondering about is if it makes sense to switch the strings to some that would be easier to learn with?

Additional questions:

I'm sure there could be quite a few opinions, but what do you all feel is the best way to learn? My goal is ultimately to be able to play along to some of my favorite (classic) rock songs by the likes of REM, U2, The Eagles, and possibly Lynyrd Skynyrd among others. Any online lessons that people have opinions about? Haven't read music in years, much less played any instrument.

Also, I am mulling over a few amp options. They are: 20watt and 40 watt Vox and Fender amps. Specifically, the Vox Valvetronix VT20X and VT40X, as well as the Fender Mustang I V.2 and Fender Mustang GT40. I seek to obtain a great versatility of sounds I can produce, to as accurately mimic the guitar sounds played on my favorite songs. I had heard Peter Buck of REM had commonly used a Rickenbacker along with a Vox AC30 and top boost circuit.

As part of the desire for a wide range of sounds, I wonder if it makes sense to buy an analog to digital converter so that I can use Garage Band on the computer. The leading candidates are: IK multimedia iRig HD2 guitar and bass interface; Apogee JAM guitar input; and Scarlett Solo 2nd gen 24 bit 192kHz sample rate converter.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 11/16/2017 6:31:19 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 420 time(s) in 410 post(s)
I think the AM73B is a great choice! Especially if you get more serious into it, this guitar should be a great starting point to add upgrades to if you got to that point.

Lessons and amps, I'm really not too sure of the best routes. Whatever lessons/guides/tutorials you follow, I think the most important thing is going to be keeping at it. As long as you are playing and learning on a regular basis, you'll continue to improve.

You can do some research on amps to try and find one that seems to suit your playing style. For versatility, you could look into some modelling amps that digitally change the sound to mimic many other amps/effects. I think the more popular choice for this style would be Line 6, but many other companies make similar products.

Hope this helps!
-Bill
1 user thanked Bill@Ibanez for this useful post.
SnowSkier on 11/22/2017(UTC)
Oz
#3 Posted : 11/18/2017 11:02:28 AM
Oz

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've been playing the guitar professionally for many years and I use an AM73B. Just because it doesn't cost an arm and a leg doesn't mean it's not an excellent guitar. As far as modeling amps go, I have used the Fender Super Champ and found it to be a good choice. Unfortunately, they don't make it any more, but they make a new version called the Super Champ X2 which is supposed to be very similar, but with a lot of gee-whiz computer software which you may enjoy.
Guitarist for The Blue Links
1 user thanked Oz for this useful post.
SnowSkier on 11/22/2017(UTC)